Thread: Bible quotes
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dantastic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubix View Post
Hi everyone.

As many of you know, as per my bible thread a month back, my mom is a strict believer of the bible (New Testament). Well, I thought I would create a thread and every week give ya'll a bible quote, or two or three. There are many that stand out that I would like to get some feedback on as well as what you would say to my mom if she caught you sinning and quoted these excerpts.

I am on the verge of saying I am an atheist but I'm just unsure.

I was about to put this on FFA but decided I want to keep a clean thread with open arguments.

My mom's belief: A married must only cease if one sleeps around.

My thoughts: If you get slapped around and beat up you will also be committing adultery even if you spoke disapproving of such divorce proceedings?

Doesn't sound like God meant to create nuns
comments?

My mom: Translation: Anything that is fast paced and would be danced to is not what Jesus would listen to.

So, this means birth control is wrong since you're controlling what God intended with a marriage?

What bible quotes do you have to share and discuss?

Thanks guys and gals
Rubix, im a little upset when I quote you, all your Bible quotes go away, someone needs to fix that in the board cuz its making this very difficult to respond to properly.

But I hope youll take the time to read this as im going to put more effort into it than I do most posts, simply because your mother is driving you away from God, and its very sad to see.

Lets see if I can help with some of these ok, because the word of God is sharper than any two edged sword and if you know how to use it properly, your mother wont be able to take this stuff out of context without you being able to atleast respond with someone other than you dont believe in God.

Like this for instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 5:32 Kings James
But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.
The Jews had fearfully perverted one of the political statutes of the Law, so that divorces were granted on the most frivolous pretenses, and it was this our Lord here condemned. Thus, in reality, He was continuing to restore the seventh commandment to its proper place and perfections.

Does your mother not know that he was also talking about the law of God as it pertains to sin and man. Jesus often spoke in parables. I am doing a study on the book of Romans right now and the teacher brought up a similar passage, because people mistakenly think it for directions on marriage only. It is directions for marriage to Christ. Yes it is the way God would have things but we are sinners. Sinful passions were aroused in us by the law, its simply a way to show us we are sinners and in need of sanctification. It CANT save us to follow the law, thats what Christ is for. We should be living in the spirit and not the oldness of the letter.

We are set free from the law by Christ, who died for us. So getting lost in legalism is blasphemy in a way.

Lets go on, how bout this gem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Timothy 4:3 King James
Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
Woah buddy, lets see what the Bible REALLY is saying.

Quote:
1Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

3Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

4For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:

5For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

6If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.

7But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.
Obviously you or your mother took that VERY out of context. People like to do that. Obviously they were condemning people who would condemn others in the later days, this also shows that the 7th day Adventists are a little misguided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalm 92:3, King James
Upon an instrument of ten strings, and upon the psaltery; upon the harp with a solemn sound.
Once again, why is this being taken out of the context it was used in?

Quote:
2To shew forth thy lovingkindness in the morning, and thy faithfulness every night,

3Upon an instrument of ten strings, and upon the psaltery; upon the harp with a solemn sound.

4For thou, LORD, hast made me glad through thy work: I will triumph in the works of thy hands.
Its just a simple psalm, thats what the person who wrote the psalm figured the heavens played, that was all they had back then, im sure other forms of instruments and music arent "forbidden".

People will take the screwiest things away from simple passages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis 1:22 King James
And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.
It says what it says and it says what it means. Are the words birth control in there anywhere? no? well then tell your mom to stop adding to the Bible before she gets cut off from God.

Quote:
Deuteronomy 4:2
Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.
Quote:
Deuteronomy 12:32
What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.
Basically rubix, I wish you wouldn't become an atheist, God loves you so much, and I wish you and others could see the lengths hes gone to, to reconcile himself with man.

Religion is mans attempt to reconcile God with himself, when God has already done that FOR man through grace with Christ.

If you choose not to believe, I want it to be for the right reasons, and not to spite your mother because she is lost in legalism. You need to let her know, THE LAW CANNOT SAVE HER, only JESUS can.

I hope this shed some light on your situation.
Dantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dantastic For This Useful Post:
Man in Black (07-05-2010), Rubix (07-04-2010), v3d4 (07-04-2010)