View Single Post
Old 12-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Sir-Ex
Learner

Thanked 9,335 Times in 5,304 Posts
Hell yeah I remember Garbage.

Version 2.0 was one of my first albums. I still listen to them, their most recent album Not Your Kind of People is awesome.

Personally I don't segregate these bands into genres though. It can be useful to categorize for ease of discussion I suppose, but those bands' sounds are pretty varied.

I mean Pearl Jam has often had a pretty heavy blues influence not found in AIC or STP for example. Also STP did a bunch of like.. 70s rivival sounding stuff. Soundgarden + AiC are pretty similar in a lot of ways, and all four exhibit the use of technical guitar solos at times, whereas a band like Nirvana never really did solos and have quite a different sound from those in general.

And then Garbage, by some considered grunge, had a lot of electronic sound in there and totally different vibe.

Guns n Roses was like a fusion between hair metal and more classic blues influenced rock, and the occasional thrash sensibility of old school metallica on some songs.

Grunge was almost more of a fashion sense with associated attitude than a true musical genre I think.
▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▓▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▒
▒▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
Link to my blog
Sir-Ex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sir-Ex For This Useful Post:
Canuck Wisdom (12-12-2015), catastrophe (12-13-2015), zoltron (12-12-2015)