View Single Post
Old 06-20-2016, 08:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
Kompressor
Voice of Reason

Thanked 6,435 Times in 3,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Honestly Sir-Ex has the right idea. You can send your resume to a million people, but the ones that count are the ones that give you an interview. This is where you need to kill it.

I read a lot so I have gotten very good at this whole new-wave meme where interviewers ask you shit like "can you think of a time you disagreed with a manager, and what did you do?" I can literally spin stories for every one of these questions on the fly. I think once back in the day I made up a whole story that was literally an Office Space reference and I ended up getting that job.

As Demosthenes said: delivery, delivery, delivery. That's not only how you win arguments but how you also get jobs.
A job interview is a two-way street. You want to make sure the company is as good for you as you are for them. I turned down two other job offers with signing bonuses and counteroffers when I told them I was taking the cybersecurity job. On my first boss interview once i got past HR, I checked out his Facebook and LinkedIn profiles. His first sentence was "I'm basically trying to see if you're a liar or not." Right then and there I wanted to work there.

Then we got into the technical stuff, and I was just as impressed with him as he was with me.
fenderbender (06-20-2016), The Rev (06-21-2016)