YaHooka Forums  

Go Back   YaHooka Forums > The Chronic Colloquials > Politics And Current Affairs
Home FAQ Social Groups Links Mark Forums Read

Politics And Current Affairs Discussion on politics, current affairs and law. Do something today to make a difference.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #161 (permalink)
Keezheekoni
 
Geeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Scam City
Posts: 30,718
Thanks: 4,802
Thanked 10,315 Times in 4,893 Posts
I think thats one of the types of jobs where theyll dick you hard if you undersell yourself or cant negotiate.

I knew two custodians for the same school district, one was pretty close to minimum the other was around 15. Same age, same ability to buff a floor, but one was slightly less awkward and a bit more confident in his ability to use tools than the other.

Not an easy gig but if you go in acting like a cleaner, you get paid like one. act like a maintenence guy, you get paid like one.

Negotiating is fun.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
i've struck the absolute perfect balance between gay and smart

☆ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★ we JACKED, you mad?☆ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★
Geeno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeno For This Useful Post:
Dex (04-29-2015), The SARS Volta (04-26-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #162 (permalink)
UglyDucklingSyndrome
 
Canuck Wisdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 12,566
Thanks: 6,296
Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,424 Posts
I always assumed the peace prize was because he was the first black president. And I always thought it was stupid to give a leader a prize before he has done any leading. If anything, the prize should have gone to America as a whole for growing.
__________________
-Knowitall A&P type-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydy View Post
everything in moderarion (especially moderation)
Canuck Wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #163 (permalink)
Voice of Reason
 
Kompressor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Illinois
Posts: 12,133
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6,435 Times in 3,188 Posts
First off, Barack Obama had nothing to do with him 'winning' the Prize, it's not like he applied/asked for it being the first black President. It was given to him. Refusing it would probably have been a bigger international PR problem.

If anything, it only reveals the biases of the Nobel Committee, not America.
__________________
Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. -H. Bergson
Kompressor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kompressor For This Useful Post:
Galt (04-28-2015), Sage Tree (04-27-2015), The Rev (04-27-2015), The SARS Volta (05-11-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #164 (permalink)
tragically misinformed
 
kitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Bay State
Posts: 10,287
Thanks: 737
Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,709 Posts
Yeah but we can't be reacist about some nameless swedish scientists, now can we?
__________________
resurrection comes
not from iron nails and battered bodies,
but from the pungent warmth
of rich soil and rotting leaves
where dry seeds sprout
and grow toward the sun.

kitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:00 PM   #165 (permalink)
Keezheekoni
 
Geeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Scam City
Posts: 30,718
Thanks: 4,802
Thanked 10,315 Times in 4,893 Posts
Swedecucks? Sure can
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
i've struck the absolute perfect balance between gay and smart

☆ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★ we JACKED, you mad?☆ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★
Geeno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geeno For This Useful Post:
Galt (04-28-2015), kitch (04-27-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 09:51 PM   #166 (permalink)
Dex
in the suck
 
Dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Southeast Asia
Posts: 1,178
Thanks: 71
Thanked 136 Times in 44 Posts
Listen folks, the reality is if your job can be done by a robot for cheaper it will be. They are having automated cashiers in Australia now at some of the high volume Mcdonalds. So you can bargain for that $15/min wage like australia has and loose your job. plain and simple.

There is also a massive market here for cash in hand to skirt things like a high minimum wage and labour laws.

As sad and as cliche as this is, the free market can and will prevail at the best interest of everyone.
__________________
And me, I still believe in paradise. But now at least I know it's not some place you can look for, 'cause it's not where you go. It's how you feel for a moment in your life when you're a part of something, and if you find that moment... it lasts forever...
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #167 (permalink)
tragically misinformed
 
kitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Bay State
Posts: 10,287
Thanks: 737
Thanked 3,021 Times in 1,709 Posts
Fuck all that. We deserve free money for living in a free society and embracing technology.
__________________
resurrection comes
not from iron nails and battered bodies,
but from the pungent warmth
of rich soil and rotting leaves
where dry seeds sprout
and grow toward the sun.

kitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #168 (permalink)
Derp?
 
fenderbender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 12,062
Thanks: 22,082
Thanked 6,838 Times in 3,923 Posts
While i dont care either way, as like others have said the Nobel peace prize was bastardized long before obama, but am i the only one who thinks that being the first black president is a decent enough reason? Lol.
I mean... It at leasrlt beats out some other past "winners" and overall is a pretty big accomplishment and a big step forward for america etc etc.
__________________
<3
fenderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #169 (permalink)
bougeman
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,462
Thanks: 5,394
Thanked 6,524 Times in 3,676 Posts
Doesn't have anything to do with peace.
stoneric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stoneric For This Useful Post:
Canuck Wisdom (05-02-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 02:01 PM   #170 (permalink)
Derp?
 
fenderbender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 12,062
Thanks: 22,082
Thanked 6,838 Times in 3,923 Posts
A step forward in unifying a racially segregated america seems like a move towards peace.

Obviously a lot more steps need to be taken, but you know what i mean.

I fully agree that his actions since then should negate any peace award though, so yeah i also agree ultimately not worthy.
__________________
<3
fenderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #171 (permalink)
bougeman
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,462
Thanks: 5,394
Thanked 6,524 Times in 3,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderbender View Post
A step forward in unifying a racially segregated america seems like a move towards peace.

Obviously a lot more steps need to be taken, but you know what i mean.

I fully agree that his actions since then should negate any peace award though, so yeah i also agree ultimately not worthy.
Unifying a racially segregated America would have had to been based on conjecture also because he hasn't done shit since taking office in that regard either. He's an oligarch just like those he followed.
stoneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:35 PM   #172 (permalink)
Al Talib
 
Sage Tree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 33,766
Blog Entries: 26
Thanks: 20,336
Thanked 13,901 Times in 8,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderbender View Post
A step forward in unifying a racially segregated america seems like a move towards peace.
I'd make the argument that there is more divides created in the world because of economic inequality than because of skin colour.
__________________
Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmi



#BLACKLIVESMATTER

Sage Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sage Tree For This Useful Post:
The Rev (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 03:57 PM   #173 (permalink)
\_(⊙_ʖ⊙)_/
 
Grieves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 22,769
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 10,520
Thanked 13,368 Times in 6,456 Posts
Money creates the divide, skin color is the way certain people can sleep easy at night.
__________________
| ( ◡)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)


tyrannical apathy
militant ignorance
recreational outrage
free lunch felon
prosperity gospel
predatory delay
aggravated boredom
sonic dysentery
what is your god trying to prove
Grieves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grieves For This Useful Post:
Canuck Wisdom (05-02-2015), The Rev (05-01-2015), The SARS Volta (05-02-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 05:33 PM   #174 (permalink)
Tribune of Plebs
 
Terry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 6,491
Thanks: 6,338
Thanked 6,329 Times in 3,130 Posts
Alright I have heard enough from all sides of the issue.

Stoneric, I choose you!

See sig for your reward, you sexy soon-to-be retiree!
__________________
I am Cassandra-doomed to see the future but destined never to be believed.

-Cicero
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Terry For This Useful Post:
stoneric (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 07:28 PM   #175 (permalink)
Life is Subtext
 
The Rev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Samsara
Posts: 25,265
Thanks: 14,905
Thanked 11,458 Times in 5,548 Posts
Lovin the Great Punkin av, Grieves.



The Rev
__________________


Budforce - My Friend
August 29, 1973- May 25, 2012


The Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Rev For This Useful Post:
Grieves (05-01-2015)
Old 05-01-2015, 09:38 PM   #176 (permalink)
Derp?
 
fenderbender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 12,062
Thanks: 22,082
Thanked 6,838 Times in 3,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Tree View Post
I'd make the argument that there is more divides created in the world because of economic inequality than because of skin colour.
and i dont think anyone would argue with that
__________________
<3
fenderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #177 (permalink)
Al Talib
 
Sage Tree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 33,766
Blog Entries: 26
Thanks: 20,336
Thanked 13,901 Times in 8,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderbender View Post
and i dont think anyone would argue with that
Well.... I'm turning it into one damn it!
__________________
Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmi



#BLACKLIVESMATTER

Sage Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sage Tree For This Useful Post:
fenderbender (05-02-2015)
Old 05-30-2015, 01:45 PM   #178 (permalink)
fuck donald trump
 
silverleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: yankeedom
Posts: 2,637
Thanks: 2,748
Thanked 2,052 Times in 967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galt View Post
Your citation would seem to negate your point, or I am I just being obtuse?
Yeah. You might have missed where I suggested interventions to modify population-level trends where possible and that the observed migration to urban centers is pretty much a foregone fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galt View Post
Your perspective on the care of our health seems rather heavily weighted toward access to facilities and drugs, both part of a primarily after the fact reaction to trauma, chronic illness, and disease. Better health through avoidance of over-engagement with modern healthcare facilities is another area of impact that has also been rather devoid of study.
Not at all. In any sense. If you're suggesting payers and people interested in health services research don't look at inpatient readmittance rates, service utilization, effective place of service and the importance of preventive medicine, you truly are ignorant of what's going on in the world of health care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galt View Post
You again assume corollaries in cause and effect, and they don't necessarily equate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galt View Post
You're over simplifying, but in general I would agree in theory. The problems associated with the public management however still persist (eg., Social Security, etc.,). We end up stubbing our collective dicks when we create these half baked systems for management. There are aspects of the Social Security system for example where capable and engaged Feral employees perform in an empathetical and conscientious fashion to help and assist their constituency. Unfortunately, much like the USPS for yet another example, in an overly reactive response to complaints of inefficiencies or waste and abuse, our legislators employ onerous band aids rather than addressing inherent structural defects sanely. This was repeated, as usual, when the healthcare program was pushed through. Maybe there is no intelligent way to actually get something done in our legislative system, but what happened with the healthcare program surely was not.

Again, I would concede that in theory there are certainly examples of better controls and best practices being implemented, but the people committing the fraud simply adapt, and that is the inherent weakness in the large centralized systems... they're simply too big. Add to it the facts of life in Feral bureaucracies; proud nail gets hammered, whistle blowers are to be crucified and ostracized - not heard, while the cream runs to the private sector and the Peter Principle rules the day. Make no waves and you'll go far is much more prevalent than any expedient to provide the best service possible at the most efficient cost. That simply ain't a part of their game.

That doesn't mean that all going the other way is the solution either, just that the limitations and problems need to be addressed before we start throwing money into that big pot, not after the rats have all figured out how to get their paws into it.
Blah blah, what you mean to say is it's not cool to take care of your neighbors, you're a greedy slob who can't understand why he's paying taxes, it's fine if you just want to come out and say it. Here's your evidence: health outcomes are better and the system runs cheaper where care is universal. Source: every other industrialized nation ever.

The Post Office reference was a total shocker, tho. Not at all just like every other libertarian ever.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Galt View Post
Don't know what part you play in this personally but you you certainly sound as if you have a stake in the income end of it.
The whole reason I'm engaging this old post at all is to make it clear that if things were running the way they should in this country and we had a single payer health care system, I'd 100% be out of a job. So fuck you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Galt View Post
Insurance companies having all of the data means what exactly for us? I don't follow where that is a positive as it applies to what we are experiencing on the cost end. Our healthcare costs continue to outpace and help fuel even higher inflation, and while we do eventually enjoy the benefits of improving technology and innovation, the current system still falls way short of the mark vis-a-vis what we were promised versus what we received. Considering the shitty way that the plan was shoved up our ass, ya think they could have at least included the crap that they said they were going to include, but quite obviously they didn't.
Completely missed the point. Don't have time or interest to help your develop your reading comprehension. Cost of care has decelerated in recent years. Again, don't have time to educate you, it's obvious you aren't doing that for yourself in this area. Would recommend David Cutler as he has written extensively on cost of care slowdown.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer's Hat View Post
Hi. Grow lots of cannabis... then smoke it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
never be a bad friend
silverleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Inactive Reminders By Icora Web Design